In blogger best intentions is keeping the visitor as long as possible, keeping him busy with all the wonderful content you have. But, in many cases, due to the time-related blog building logics, your visitor is leaving the site, without even knowing how much interesting stuff he failed to read beside.
Many different widgets are trying to fill the gap, and random post widget for Blogger is one of them. If you have a blog with more than 20 posts than this gadget is just the thing you might be interesting in.
1. Shows one post title at a time.
2. Links to the post.
3. Shows post excerpt also.
4. Every 5 seconds shows a new post.
5. Cycles through all the posts in the blog.
6. Starts a new cycle at the end of the list.
7. Once loaded continues cycling even when not connected to the Internet.
8. Uses official Google AJAX technology.
9. Can be used on other blogging platforms (not tested).
10. Hovering with mouse cursor over the post title halts the rotation till mouse moves off the gadget.
Posts are not random, the sequence is quite defined - from the newer to the older posts.
Get code from the developer’s post http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html. If you need to modify the widget as per your particular needs, review the questions and answers below the post. I removed the author’s name and date, for example, decreased dimensions and fonts in half, and placed it in the side column. You can review the Random Post widget modified in the right sidebar.
Note that there are three areas you need to put particular data from your blog to make it work. Change "MYBLOG" to actual blog sub-domain and "BLOG_TITLE" to actual title of your blog. Then paste the modified code in the Html gadget and save the gadget. Get your AJAX API key and put it in above code instead of 'PUT_AJAX_KEY_HERE'.
1. Login at Blogger.com.
2. Click Layouts link on Dashboard.
3. Click Add Gadget link in sidebar on Page Elements subtab of Layout tab.
5. In Contents window copy the code below and paste after modifying it.